Friday, February 10, 2012

Mortality

A little less than a week ago, I thought I was going to die. I had been nauseous and with a migraine all day, and then, late at night, my left arm started going numb. I ended up spending all of Saturday night/Sunday morning at the ER. And I thought to myself, "This could be it. I didn't even see it coming".

I guess I've always assumed that I would be... older.. when truly confronted with my mortality. And it's not that I've never thought about my death; I might think about it more often than most people. I guess I've always imagined myself welcoming death, embracing it, even. But here I was, potentially about to die, and I realized, I wanted to live.

I didn't just want to live. I needed it. All of those big, philosophy 101, words that I loved to write or think about, I was living them, feeling them. Words like: self-actualization, purpose, destiny. I was talking to god, to existence, to some other, and emphatically saying, "I want to live; this isn't it for me".

To realize this, was a big deal for me. I haven't always wanted to live. 5 years ago, there was a time where I couldn't stop thinking about killing myself. As I waited on the subway platform, I would look down at the train tracks and think to myself, "What if I jump now?" I would tease myself, torture myself, thinking about my cowardice, my incompetence. I felt absolutely empty and detached from the world.

Things have changed. Maybe I'm an anti-Buddhist, but it seems to me I've spent the last few years truly forming and building attachments, rather than letting them go. Sometimes it's to my own detriment, as I greedily seek out attention, love and praise, when I don't necessarily need it. But, usually, it feels like living. Feeling loved and appreciated is fucking awesome. Loving and appreciating yourself? THE BEST. Because with this sense of competence, comes a sense of purpose. I am almost euphoric as I type this: I have a purpose. I want to advocate change, within me, around me. I want to be actively involved in this, whatever this is.

I used to think that death would come to me when I was ready. I realized this weekend that wasn't the case, necessarily. Death could come at any minute, and more likely than not, I won't be expecting it. As you read this, you might be thinking, "Yeah, that's what people say", or "Yeah, that's one of those truths that is said about life". But I want you to really feel it and live it. Mortality is not just some word you read about it. It's a fact. It's your fact. And it might be all you can hang on to.

1 comment:

  1. As I read this, I thought "Someone who finally understands"
    I often lose sight of this truth. Death is inevitable. We all know it. But most of us spend our lives avoiding even thinking about it. The harsh truth is, the more time we spend thinking ABOUT it, the more we realize what we still want before it's too late. Don't forget it. I'm glad I ran across this. :)

    ReplyDelete